Southeast Energy Exchange Market
SEEM is a unique and thoroughly new approach to enhancing the existing bilateral market. The new SEEM platform will facilitate sub-hourly, bilateral trading, allowing participants to buy and sell power close to the time the energy is consumed, utilizing available unreserved transmission. Participation in SEEM is open to other entities that meet the appropriate requirements.
SEEM is a 21st century solution designed for the incredible pace of change resulting from the electricity sector growing toward an ever-greener future. Southeastern electricity customers will see cost and environmental benefits as a result of the new platform that is set to become operational in the fourth quarter of 2022.
Founding members of SEEM include Associated Electric Cooperative, Dalton Utilities, Dominion Energy South Carolina, Duke Energy Carolinas, Duke Energy Progress, Georgia System Operations Corporation, Georgia Transmission Corporation, LG&E and KU Energy, MEAG Power, N.C. Municipal Power Agency No. 1, NCEMC, Oglethorpe Power Corp., PowerSouth, Santee Cooper, Southern Company and TVA.
The founding members represent nearly 20 entities in parts of 11 states with more than 160,000 MWs (summer capacity; winter capacity is nearly 180,000 MWs) across two time zones. These companies serve the energy needs of more than 32 million retail customers (roughly more than 50 million people).
SEEM Webinar Resources for Potential Participants
- The Southeast Energy Exchange Market (SEEM) members hosted a series of webinars for entities interested in participating in SEEM when operations begin in the fourth quarter of 2022. The webinar recordings and associated slides are being made available as a resource for all interested parties.
- Session I – SEEM: An Overview of the Exchange and How to Participate (Legal & Operational Considerations)
- Session II – Market Principles, Part 1: An Overview of the Network Infrastructure and a Walk-Through of Platform Matching Examples
- Session III – Market Principles, Part 2: A Deeper Dive – Tagging Processes, Settlement, and Publicly Available Information
- SEEM: Countdown to Launch – Reviewing the Steps for Onboarding & Exchange Participation